When it comes to choosing a divorce lawyer it may be one of the most important decisions you make during your divorce case. You shouldn’t go to just any run-of-the-mill divorce lawyer for your case. You could easily run into a lawyer that doesn’t have the right experience or dedication to take on your case. All of that combined can turn into a mess and that is a mess that could be costly.
Finding the right lawyer for you is a task that needs to be taken seriously. If you don’t know where to start don’t worry, we’ve created a list of what to look for in your divorce lawyer.
Finding the Right Lawyer For You
Just like in any profession there are good lawyers and there are bad lawyers. It’s up to you to ask the right questions to find the right lawyer for you and see what they can do for you. The best lawyers are going to be able to listen to concerns, ask questions, and talk to you about what your case could entail.
This is what you should consider when looking for a divorce lawyer to be on your side:
- Specially Practices Family Law – Just like you wouldn’t hire a plumber to rewire your house you shouldn’t choose a general law lawyer to handle your divorce case. While they went to law school they may not have the right experience or knowledge to help you with your case.
- Can Recommend Other Professionals – A good lawyer is going to be able to send you where you need to go to make sure everything is taken care of. Typically the other professionals are going to be needed to sort out finances and other property.
- Has Relevant Experience – You are going to want someone that has the experience to take on your case. Ask about how they handled cases similar to yours. If your lawyer is fresh out of law school they may not be the right one for you, unless they have an experienced mentor.
- Compatible With You – You don’t have to be best friends but you have to be comfortable with your lawyer. You are going to have to share deeply personal details of your life and if you can’t do that then find a different lawyer.
- Totally Candid – Make sure your lawyer is upfront and honest with you about everything. If they beat around the bush then they aren’t a good fit.
- More Than a Pretty Face – Don’t just pick a lawyer on attractiveness. Sometimes the prettiest people don’t have the experience needed to handle a case like yours.
Finding a divorce lawyer in Alameda County, California can be difficult but our trusted lawyers at AttorneyBernie.Com understand that this isn’t easy. We want to help you get back on your feet and feel in control of your divorce. Don’t hesitate to reach out for your consultation today.